Do I need a mobile website?
12 April 2012
We are often asked why we recommend to our clients a mobile website design. Well the latest statistics released by Ofcom in December 2010 show that the number of smartphones being used in the UK now exceeds the number of more traditional mobile phones. With over 57% of UK users owning a smartphone the evidence is clear that these are now a well established device and offer a great marketing opportunity to the forward thinking business.
The whole point of a mobile website is to make your content easier to navigate and faster to load. When we build our mobile websites we aim to have as little scrolling as possible, because when it comes to mobile websites less-is-more. We help all our clients to single out the most important reasons why visitors/clients view there standard website, and then focus on them key pages for the mobile version.
Mobile website Vs apps
A lot of clients get confused between a mobile website's and app's. The key differences are that mobile websites donâ€™t need to be downloaded, and they are available to all brands of smartphones. However Apps can take advantage of the native handset applications like the camera, gyroscope and push notifications. Apps are very cool things to have, but they have several drawbacks. For one, you have to make an app for each platform you target. That means maintaining at least three apps; one for iPhone, one for Android, and another for Blackberry, but most importantly they need to be installed. Mobile websites donâ€™t have any of these app problems, every modern smartphone has a browser, so everyone can view your mobile website and your entire audience is immediately just a tap away.
Still not sure about having a mobile site? Here are 3 more reasons
About the author
Article written by Stephen Wild.View Company Profile
Articles by this company:
- Web Design Trends of 2012
- What makes a good business card?
- Do I need a mobile website?
- Social media advertising
- Promoting your online presence
- Website Redesigning vs Website Modernising
Articles within category
- 5 Important Things You Have to Know About Web Design
- What Is Cart Abandonment And How Do You Stop It?
- 5 Tips To Optimize Your Website
- Is Your Website Effective For Today's Online Shoppers?
- How Do Online Retailers Find Problems With Their Carts?
- Top 5 Mistakes Made When Building A Website
- How To Properly Plan A Website
- What is Responsive Web Design
- How To Create An Informative and User Friendly Website
- Creating A Positive User Experience On Your Website
- How to make your photos look dramatically
- Don't Sacrifice Usability for Minimalism!
- Why Use Minimalism?
- What is Minimalism?
- The Best Free Open Source Content Management Systems (CMS)
- When is the best time for photo shoots?
- Emotional design - best way to evoke positive feedback!
- Why choose a bespoke design?
- Creating Photo Art utilizing the Photomontage
- How to take a Beautiful Landscape Picture